- The department was established in 1957 as post graduates department.
- Ph.D. was started in 2010-11
- The department has presently 08 seats in M.Sc. (4-free and 4-payment) and 6-seats (4 free and 2 payment) in Ph.D.
- To serve as a center for teaching, research and extension for the management of the insect pest of crops cultivated in the zone.
- To improve the productivity of the mandate crops.
- Thrust areas of research.
Formulation of integrated eco-friendly management of important insect pest of crops cultivated in the zone.